Yes, I’m being a bit fictitious with that title, but there was very little during last night’s game not to get excited about. The Eagles starters looked strong like bull. Vick was firing lasers out there. (Hat tip to Boy Couch.) The receivers looked phenomenal, and that was without DeSean or Maclin. The Birds probably have six or seven wideouts right now that are better than any during the McNabb era sans TO. (No wonder Donovan’s so cranky.)
The defense line was aggressive as hell and the offensive line looks promising. When you have assistant coaches as impressive as Mudd and Washburn, chemistry with new free agents and lack of training camp time is not as much of an issue as it might be with other “Dream Teams.”
Dream Team Rant: Let me get this out system once and for all, for all the national media and Eagles haters. (Because I know there’s a ton who read my stupid blog.) ONLY TWO EAGLES PLAYERS CALLED THEM A “DREAM TEAM” AND ONE STARTED A FIGHT IN THE BACK OF A STRIP CLUB. (Click here for the hilarious video. I think he tries to throw up a “Hook ’em Horns” in the middle of it.) So no one of any substantial standing on the Eagles has called them a “Dream Team.” All of you stupid ass players on other teams who want to use it as bulletin board material or wish that you played the Eagles this season so you can shut them up, why don’t you worry about your own house first? To all the media who keep regenerating it, stop being lazy and credit it to Vince Young and Jason Babin, not the Eagles.
Anyhoo, back to the game. Here are some other thought in bullet point form:
- Loved, loved, loved the dedication to the run game in the 2nd quarter. Even if Andy stays pass crazy during the season, it’s great to see them work on it.
- I think Vick has more TD passes to Celek lest night than he did in all of 2010. Hopefully he uses Celek more this season.
- Don’t want to see Vick scramble at all this preseason. If he does, Andy should take away his dessert for the week. (Who are we kidding, he already does!)
- Great pressure by the defensive line. They were in backfield for the whole game.
- The rookie defensive backs look like they don’t want to be forgotten about. Some really nice interceptions by them.
- I miss David Akers, but Alex Henery looks like he’ll be a fine replacement.
- I’m never going to be able to remember which Henry/Henery kicker is which.
- Last night was the first time I saw Nnamdi Asomugha interviewed. Sounded like a smart guy with a fantastic attitude. Just more to love about him.
- I don’t care what Reid and the Eagles are saying, Young will be the number two quarterback by week one. Kafka really lost out by losing the off-season to the lockout.
- The position group I’m still most concerned about is linebacker. They are young and could use a veteran infusion.
- The most underrated free agency signing by the Eagles has been RT Ryan Harris. A solid starter that can help Danny Watkins sure up the right side of the line. Keep Vick on the field is the (obvious) key to the Eagles season.
- Major props to my boy @EaglesScout73 for hooking me up with a link to the game last night. Follow him on twitter. (FYI to Johnny Law, I’m just kidding.) (Not really.) (Or am I?)
- How bad was the broadcasting booth last night? Brian Baldinger was far and away the star, and he stinks on ice. Don Tolfson makes Jon Gruden look like a manic depressive.
- I hated seeing 36 on Ronnie Brown, but I’m not sure if it deserves to be retired. Reports are that Brown will take 23 from DRC when he gets 45 right before the season starts.
- Five and 20 should be retired for sure by the Eagles, and maybe 12 and 36. What number(s) do you believe should be retired by the Eagles? Let me know in the comment section!